From Stamps of the World
Augsburg is a city (276,542 inhabitants end 2013) in the south-west of Bavaria, Souabia. It was a Free Imperial City in the 1276-1803 period. It is divided in 17 Districts.
It used stamps issued by the Bavaria (Bayern) State until 1920.
Allied Occupied Germany
Augsburg belonged to RPD Augsburg/München, PLZ 13b, in the American Zone.
German Empire era
Bavaria State era
Until 31 March 1920.
A Royal post office (k.b. Oberpostamt) opened in 1808. AUGSBURG used numerals 18 and 28 (after 1856) within a mill wheel (Mühlrad).
District VIII - Pfersee
Pfersee is now District VIII, incorporated in 1911. At its opening in 1865, it used the code 853.