Greenland 2009 Science in Greenland (III)
From Stamps of the World
- Issue date: 19th October 2009
- three values and a miniature sheet
- Design: Yves Beaujard, or Niels Motzfeldt (23.50kr). All stamps incorporate a locational map.
- Engraving: Yves Beaujard
- Printing: recess and litho, Enschedé (the 23.50kr also with gold foil)
- stamp format height 40mm x width 28mm
- Perforations: 13.2 x 13.9
Science in Greenland, third issue. Mining and Deep Sea Marine Life
1.00kr ~ cryolite (mineral) deposits and mine buildings at Ivigtût, western Greenland (mine operated 1859-1987). Mineral was once used as catalyst in the production of aluminium from bauxite (crucially in World War II)
15.50kr ~ female 'Sea Devil' fish, Himantolophus groenlandicus, accompanied by two (small) males
23.50kr ~ gold mining: mountains of the fjord at Nanortalik, extreme south Greenland, and gold 'nuggets'