From Stamps of the World
Guldborg is a fishing village spanning the islands of Falster and Lolland in Denmark. It belongs to Guldborgsund Municipality, in Region Zealand. In 2019 the village had a population of 552, with about 500 living on the Lolland side. The village is located at the narrowest point between the two islands where Guldborg Bridge crosses Guldborgsund (or Guldborg) Sound.
Guldborg is first documented as a ferry village in 1569. During the Second Northern War (1657–1660), embankments were built along the shore but did not prevent the Swedes conquering Lolland in 1658 and attempting to overcome the rest of Denmark.
By 1859, there were two farms and 40 houses in Guldborg as well as an inn, a windmill and a pilot station. The early ferries were rowboats, replaced in 1867 by a cable ferry and in 1904 by a motor ferry with space for two horse-drawn carriages. The old ferry station was destroyed by a storm in 1862. Its replacement is now in an advanced state of deterioration. The ferry stopped operating in 1934 when Guldborg Bridge, also known as Christian X's Bridge, was opened. A harbour, built in the 1860s for shipping timber from the surrounding forests, was later also used for grain, pigs and cattle. From the late 19th century to the mid-20th century, Guldborg also had a dairy, a bakery, a pottery, a sawmill and a fruit plantation.
From the mid-19th century, there was a wharf at Guldborg which was used mainly for building fishing boats. The first quay was established in 1947. The housework school, which operated from 1898 to 1905, was subsequently used as a women's college, then as a retirement home and latterly as a motel until 1997. Nearly all the through traffic disappeared from Guldborg in 1988 when the Guldborgsund Tunnel connecting Falster and Lolland opened between Hjelms Nakke and Majbølle.