From Stamps of the World
Plovdiv (Bulgarian: Пловдив) is the second-largest city in Bulgaria with a population of 341,041 inhabitants as of 2013. During most of its recorded history, Plovdiv was known in the West by the name Philippopolis (Greek: Φιλιππούπολις; Turkish: Filibe; "Philip's Town") after Philip II of Macedon conquered the city in the 4th century BCE. The city was originally a Thracian settlement and subsequently was invaded by Persians, Greeks, Celts, Romans, Goths, Huns, Bulgars, Slavs, Rus people, Crusaders, and Turks. On 4 January 1878, Plovdiv was liberated from Ottoman rule by the Russian army. It remained within the borders of Bulgaria until July of the same year, when it became the capital of the autonomous Ottoman region of Eastern Rumelia. In 1885, Plovdiv and Eastern Rumelia joined Bulgaria.
Postmarks of the Austrian Levant office (1859-1889)
The names of FILIPOPOLI and FILIPPOPEL were in use before the office closure on 31 March 1889.
Postmark of the Disputed Bulgarian Era under Turkish Suzerainty (Eastern Rumelia)
During an uprising and war against the Ottomans the region of Eastern Rumelia (Souther Bulgaria) proclaimed itself to be Bulgarian. The Bulgarians won the war in 1885 and Turkey reluctantly allowed the Bulgarian Prince to rule under their 'guidance' Stamps of Eastern Rumelia were Turkish stamps overprinted with the Bulgarian Lion in two different colours and two different handstamps (boxed and Unboxed) during September of 1885